Matt Liotta, founder of Atlanta-based start-up, PodPonics, aims to offer the ability to grow organic hydroponic lettuce locally in specially outfitted recycled shipping containers.
These computer-controlled environmental systems have a bunch of great features:
- regulate temperature, humidity, pH levels and carbon dioxide
- outfitted with organic hydroponic nutrient solutions
- lights emit a specific spectrum at different points in the day to provide the exact amount of water, light and nutrients that a crop requires so there’s no wasted energy
- 320 square feet produces an acre’s worth of produce
- can be stacked on top of each other for maximum use of space
- lettuce & micro greens can be grown at or near the point of consumption, year-round