In the early 1900’s Bryant-Park was slowly deteriorated. The poor design of the park made it unappealing for the public.Public Gathering place ,stairs,walls and overgrown greenery sectioned off the space into small isolated pockets and prevented positive community interaction.
Despite re-design efforts made in the mid 1900’s the divided space continued to be used by prostitutes and drug addicts .By the 1970’s the park had so many problems with crime that the police closed the park after dark.
By 1979 the city decided to take action and a whole new design was made.The park is built on the roof of a part of the New York Public Library , from 1979 -1992 the park was rebuild as a green roof for the new facility. After the restoration of Bryant Park there are open spaces,visual accessibility and formal programming making it a popular meeting-gathering space for the people of New York and the tourists.
The brilliance of the new design lies in it’s connectivity and free movement.Large trees and two 300-foot decorative planters frame the park. The large interior-lawn is used for public-events like markets,fashion-shows and the Barnum & Bailey Circus.
A private, non-profit company supplies all the funding for Bryant Park and also manages park maintenance and event programming.